Diwali in the West festival at WFNH
Saturday 3rd October 2009
Chef: Sharon De Jonk
- 2 cups Masoor dhal washed and drained
- 1 large brown onion diced
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (canola)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 dried red chilies broken up
- 10 fresh curry leaves
- 2tbls turmeric powder
- 1 tbls cumin powder
- 2 tbls tomato paste
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander chopped
- 1 tbls coriander powder
- 2 cups green frozen cut beans
- 1 green chili chopped
- Salt to taste
- 400g or 450g tin coconut cream
- Heat pan add oil and fry diced onions.
- Add black mustard seeds, curry leaves, garlic, and green chilies,
- Fry for ten minutes or so to flavor the oil.
- Add turmeric powder, dhal, frozen green beans, tomato paste and all spice powders.
- Add enough cold water to cover the dhal (2 inches above the dhal at least)
- Cook, keeping an eye not to burn or let it stick to the bottom of the pan.
- When dhal is cooked & mushy add coconut milk & fresh coriander
- Stir well & bring to the boil
- Serve with steamed Basmati rice.