Tax Help – free assistance to complete your tax return

Tax Help is a network of ATO-trained community volunteers who can help you prepare your tax return using myTax. We’re fortunate to have a Tax Help volunteer at the neighbourhood house. 

Carlo provides face to face assistance with tax returns each Wednesday from August until demand slows in September or October. Carlo is very passionate about his volunteering and has been helping people with their tax returns at the house for years. 



You are eligible for Tax Help if your income is around $60,000 or less for the income year and you did not:

  • work as a contractor – for example, a contract cleaner, taxi or uber driver
  • run a business, including as a sole trader
  • have partnership or trust matters
  • sell shares or an investment property
  • own a rental property
  • have capital gains tax (CGT)
  • receive royalties
  • receive distributions from a trust, other than a managed fund
  • receive foreign income, that is not a foreign pension or annuity.


how to book

Contact us to make a booking. 

If you are unable to attend on a Wednesday you can phone the ATO on 13 28 61 to find another volunteer in the area. The ATO website also has support in languages other than English


What to bring

You will need to bring the following to your appointment:

  • your myGov user ID and password – if you are unable to locate or remember your myGov details, or don’t have a myGov account, our volunteers can help
  • your mobile phone to receive your myGov access code
  • your bank account details (BSB and account number)
  • your tax file number (TFN)
  • an original or amended notice of assessment from any one of the last five years
  • income statements or payments summaries from all sources
  • all your receipts for gifts, donations and work-related expenses
  • details of any child support payments made
  • details of your spouse’s (married or de-facto) taxable income or a reasonable estimate if you had a spouse at any time during the financial year.